How to Develop Patience for Your Personal Productivity

HOW would you describe yourself; a patient or an impatient person? I can be impatient I must admit. On a general note, have you noticed that it seems like everything nowadays is fast and instant, what some call the ‘World of Instant Gratification’; instant coffee, instant messages via email and fax, instant education via online colleges, instant banking and so on. One is therefore tempted to ask, why wait in a world that literarily offers everything instantly? Reports say that it is now more difficult to be patient than at any other time in history.
photo courtesy of believechangebecome.com


The popular saying that ‘the patient dog eats the fattest bone’ seems to be replaced with the saying that ‘the patient dog eats no bone at all’. It would seem that some people have tried to lie to my generation that you can get all things now, that waiting is old fashioned and unnecessary. Is patience still a virtue?


But what is patience if one may ask? Sharing thoughts from Essential Life Skills, patience is defined as, “the ability to tolerate waiting, delay, or frustration without becoming agitated or upset. It's the ability to be able to control your emotions or impulses and proceed calmly when faced with difficulties”.


Continuing with Essential Life Skills, “anything worthwhile and of importance cannot take place right away. It takes time, dedication and effort to achieve; so even in this day and age, patience is a virtue”.



photo courtesy of midlifemommusings.com
Patience is a character trait you can develop just like impatience is a habit you learned and can unlearn. Patience is key to achieving monumental and lasting success. Translated, patience may also means you add time (hours, days or even years) as you wait. This is something that makes patience unattractive. But remember that nothing worthwhile is achieved right away. You may want to check all the world’s most successful and influential people, and their success stories.


Benefits of Patience

What are some personal benefits of patience in this fast-paced world? Let’s look at some benefits.

·       Being patient reduces stress levels and makes you a happier, healthier person. It helps you control your emotions.

·       Being patient makes you better at decision-making. Do you never want to regret your decisions, then I encourage you to learn patience before taking decisions.

·       Patience helps you develop understanding, empathy and compassion.

·       Patient people take the time to process what they go through and are more understanding of others.


Developing Patience

·       Learn how to be slow to speak and fast to think, in other words practice thinking before speaking. You may also take a day where you make patience your goal for the entire day.

·       Learn how to delay gratification, or pleasure, no matter how deserved it may be.

·       Make a concerted effort to take your time and think about everything you do. Start today.

·       Learn to calm down. I have a personal motto which says, ‘heaven cannot fall’, after all it has never. This helps me calm down.

·       Learn to appreciate that people are at different levels of life and understanding, so may not meet up with your pace and expectations. This is especially important for “perfectionists”. It’s sad I know.

·       Develop your patience level by simple practice and sheer determination.


Remember that anything worthwhile and of importance cannot take place right away. It takes time, dedication and effort to achieve. It takes patience. At the end of it all, you benefit, I benefit, everyone benefits.


In your success journey, what insights have you acquired or tips you would like to share? Please share with us. I would like to hear from you. Your feedback is valued.

Also kindly encourage your friends to visit this blog www.iamchukwuemeka.blogspot.com for motivational and inspirational pieces. You may never know how it can benefit them.

chukwuemeka okereafor
I am available to creatively:
-  anchor, facilitate or compere your corporate events
-  speak to and train your team
-  produce content and visibility for you or your organisation
- write your speeches, citations, press releases, advertorials and advert copies
-  provide mass media and public relations consultancy
- produce radio and TV jingles, documentaries and other media outputs
-  create community engagement media for your community outreach
- capture and document your meetings, sessions, workshops, public outings and other important events using photographic, audio and video equipment.
  

You can reach me directly on +234 (0)805 334 0599. You may also write to P O Box 11758, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria or email chukwuemeka@chukwuemeka.org. My twitter handle is @Chukwuemeka777 or @iamchukwuemeka, on Skype I am chukwuemeka okereafor. Please like our Facebook page at The Next Level with Chukwuemeka

Thank you for allowing me into your world.


6 comments:

  1. Patience is really important, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jecinta. I totally agree with you. I also want to thank you for all the support to this blog. I still look forward to connecting more with you on my blog. On this blog, there are great resources for your personal and business development. Kindly visit again and please also invite your friends. Well done!

      Delete
  2. Deep write up. Patience is indeed a virtue. For so long I was an impatient person but when I had my first child I learnt how to be patient. I thank God in my journey of life, I am now a patient person. As you stated "heaven cannot fall". That will be my watch word henceforth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for sharing your story. Indeed patience is a virtue. I still look forward to connecting more with you on my blog. On this blog, there are great resources for your personal and business development. Kindly visit again and please also invite your friends. Well done!

      Delete
  3. I never believe in the spirit of patience i'm always impatience that made me to take some decisions and actions that i'm still regretting till today not knowing that tough time never last. To me it takes a heart to be patience in life which is the key to one success. And this has been my prayer for God to inaugurate me with the spirit of patience so help me God...
    WELL DONE SIR, AND MORE GRACE AHEAD! AHEAD!!!....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I say amen to your prayer. Patience can also be developed as this post shows, just practice it. I still look forward to connecting more with you on my blog. On this blog, there are great resources for your personal and business development. Kindly visit again and please also invite your friends. Well done!

      Delete