How To Restore Lost Relationships

ONE of life’s greatest losses is the loss of a valued relationship. One must therefore do all to preserve, and in the event of a strain or loss, restore relationships, whether business, family or social. Relationships, effective relationships, are the bedrock of your progress and indeed society. Many years of making and losing relationships come with vital lessons learnt. I will therefore share some important nuggets that would help restore some lost social and business relationships.

photo courtesy of lifextyle.com




The first thing to do in restoring it is to admit that you were wrong, and sincerely ask for forgiveness. As a very young teenager on school holiday in rustic Umueze, in Ngor Okpala, Imo State, Nigeria, I could not have enough of country life. One day my cousins suggested we go hunting. My excitement was indescribable. I could never have a hunting experience in the city where I was. We set out after breakfast. We followed every clue for an animal the forest could offer. It took a lot of time, but it was fun; the adventure, the dirt, the anticipation and the freedom.


Suddenly the rain started without any notice whatsoever. Of course the hunting expedition team ended after been heavily drenched in the rain. We set out for home, and arrived very late. Waiting for me that very wet evening was my mother who had instructed me, before I went hunting without her knowledge and permission, to watch over a sizeable quantity of egusi, a local delicacy in Nigeria, she had spread under the sun to dry and preserve.


photo courtesy of searchenginepeople.com
Her eyes were gazing straight at me. My heart sunk because indeed I was in trouble, big time! My poor soul suddenly remembered the story of the Prodigal Son I learnt in my Sunday School class. Before my mum could utter a word or raise a finger, I went straight to the ground, with teary eyes, and accepted that I had indeed wronged her. I asked for forgiveness just like the Prodigal Son asked for and was forgiven. Speechless, my mum dropped the whip, picked me up, hugged me and asked me to go shower, change my clothes drenched from the heavy downpour and have my dinner. My sin was forgiven and the relationship restored. You can do same.


Important Tips


On a general note, accepting that you are wrong shows someone with a huge dose of humility.


It is also important to ask the offended party what you can do to ameliorate the wrong done. Be a good listener.


Once the offended party is gracious enough to tell you what you can do to right the wrongs done, and it’s mutually agreed upon, genuinely work hard at correcting the wrong. Be aware that this process may cost you in time, emotionally and financially. But it’s a price worth paying.


Make a commitment that ensures that whatever action or inaction that led to the initial crack in the relationship never happens again. The ball is now in your court.


Let me state that these suggested tips apply to relationships that can be restored. There are some relationships that if lost, maybe lost forever, sadly and regrettably. With such relationships, there is little you can do to restore it. 


In your success journey, what insights have you acquired or tips you would like to share? Please share with us. I would like to hear from you. Your feedback is valued.


Also kindly encourage your friends to visit this blog www.iamchukwuemeka.blogspot.com for motivational and inspirational pieces. You may never know how it can benefit them.


chukwuemeka okereafor
I am available to creatively:
-  anchor, facilitate or compere your corporate events
-  speak to and train your team
-  produce content and visibility for you or your organisation
- write your speeches, citations, press releases, advertorials and advert copies
-  provide mass media and public relations consultancy
- produce radio and TV jingles, documentaries and other media outputs
-  create community engagement media for your community outreach
- capture and document your meetings, sessions, workshops, public outings and other important events using photographic, audio and video equipment.
 
You can reach me directly on +234 (0)805 334 0599. You may also write to P O Box 11758, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria or email chukwuemeka@chukwuemeka.org. My twitter handle is @Chukwuemeka777 or @iamchukwuemeka, on Skype I am chukwuemeka okereafor. Please like our Facebook page at The Next Level with Chukwuemeka

Thank you for allowing me into your world.


2 comments: