How to Improve Your Public Speaking for Greater Impact and Productivity

photo courtesy of taesamlee.com
ANYONE interested in climbing the corporate or success ladder, should be prepared to work in a team, and very importantly, will sooner than later make presentations and speak publicly. This is almost inescapable. It is common knowledge that the way we speak publicly determines how people judge and perceive our personal effectiveness. Effective public speaking skills can help you advance your career, boost your reputation and create opportunities, it opens important doors.

Research shows that between 45 to a staggering 80 percent of people are afraid of the microphone or public speaking. This is called Glossophobia - the fear of public speaking. On this post, I share simple ways to overcome glossophobia, improve your public speaking and increase your influence and productivity.


True glossophobics will go to great lengths to avoid speaking in a group situation, and will experience nausea, panic attacks and extreme anxiety.

Your nervousness at the start of public speaking activity is normal. Many of my friends say I am a good public speaker, but I always tell me that every time I have an opportunity to speak, I am almost always nervous when I begin speaking. Sometimes my nervousness is heard in my shaky voice when I begin speaking. I am grateful to mindtools for some of the resources used here.
photo courtesy of the-maverickista.blogspot.com

                                           Important Tips

Practice breathing exercises. This is helpful in controlling nervousness and fast heart rate. 

Know your audience. Know the demographic profile and sensibilities of your audience. What is their age, educational status, religion and cultural practices? These information may be invaluable. It is also helpful to state here to dress appropriately.

Learn to plan your speech, especially when it is not an impromptu speech. . A golden rule here is to plan to identify and grab your audience at the beginning of your speech. There are different ways to create this grabber including beginning your speech with relevant statistics, headline screamers or quotes. Also the one I like most is using relevant stories including personal experience where it is appropriate. I am still intrigued by our penchant for stories. It works excellently in a public speaking situation.

Have a mental picture of a successful public speaking outing. Creating such a positive world helps you succeed. Remember your thoughts become reality. Determine that you will have a successful outing in your next public speaking adventure.

TO BE CONTINUED


In your success journey, what insights have you acquired or tips you would like to share? Please share with us. I would like to hear from you. Your feedback is valued.

Also kindly encourage your friends to visit this blog www.iamchukwuemeka.blogspot.com for motivational and inspirational pieces. You may never know how it can benefit them.



chukwuemeka okereafor
I am available to creatively:
-  anchor, facilitate or compere your corporate events
-  speak to and train your team
-  produce content and visibility for you or your organisation
- write your speeches, citations, press releases, advertorials and advert copies
-  provide mass media and public relations consultancy
- produce radio and TV jingles, documentaries and other media outputs
-  create community engagement media for your community outreach
- capture and document your meetings, sessions, workshops, public outings and other important events using photographic, audio and video equipment.


You can reach me directly on +234 (0)805 334 0599. You may also write to P O Box 11758, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria or email chukwuemeka@chukwuemeka.org. My twitter handle is @Chukwuemeka777 or @iamchukwuemeka, on Skype I am chukwuemeka okereafor.


Thank you for allowing me into your world.






8 comments:

  1. Interesting tips. Great piece my friend. Looking forward to the continuation. I want to add that one need to be confident & speak fluently too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bunmi. I agree with you that confidence and language fluency are important also. I still look forward to connecting more with you on my blog. On this blog, there are great resources for your personal and business development. Kindly visit again and please also invite your friends. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have spoken to me, I have stage fright, I find it difficult speaking in public, but at least from this piece I have learnt that I can start with a relevant story and personal experience, thanks Emeka for the great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most welcome Rose Marcus. I encourage you to read the concluding part of this article that will be published on Monday August 3. I still look forward to connecting more with you on my blog. On this blog, there are great resources for your personal and business development. Kindly visit again and please also invite your friends. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this episode and their tips. Great one Sir, The most difficult thing in my life is me speaking in public. I cant forget the experience i had back then in secondary school. I was among the predects in my school one day the principal called me to go and address the students, oh! My God, i felt like i wasn't in school that very day not that i don't know what to say but due to inferiority..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waoh Ndubuisi, what an experience. You can become a great and impactful speaker. Endeavour to follow the tips we shared, and attend our master classes.We have concluded this series, be sure to read the concluding part.. One can become an expert in public speaking, you too can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I didn't know that percentage (80%) was that huge! Good tips, i guess i fall into the 20% who don't have such fears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great to hear Jacinta. Then I encourage you to continue improving on your skills by practice. I still look forward to connecting more with you on my blog. On this blog, there are great resources for your personal and business development. Kindly visit again and please also invite your friends. Well done!

    ReplyDelete