Secrets To Taking Life Risks

photo courtesy of socialworker.com
RECENTLY, on my Facebook page, I offered free recharge or top up cards to my Nigerian friends on Facebook. It was just a way of keeping tab on my friends on a media that claims to be social but many a time is far from what it professes. I simply asked my friends to post on my Facebook wall indicating their interest in the freebie. There was no gimmicks, or tricks or hidden anything anywhere whatsoever. I wasn’t marketing or selling anything to anyone, neither was I bribing anyone for today or tomorrow. I wasn’t expecting anything in return from any friend. The only thing I required of my Nigerian Facebook friends was to indicate interest by saying so on my Facebook wall. Say it, and get it. It was that simple. Of course a lot of my friends could not understand why I would just give away recharge cards for no reason.



In most of their worlds, this act on social media is unheard of and near crazy. We now live in a world where anything that looks too good to be true, might actually be too good to be true, so avoid it. There is no free lunch anywhere is what we have been told, and we daily see negative effects of a free lunch. My free gift invariably became suspect. And avoiding it was a natural instinct. Thankfully, some people took the risk.


What really caught my interest is that majority of the people who indicated interest in getting the free recharge cards were not my friends in real life. By that I mean I have never ever met or spoken with most of them. Our friendship begins and ends on Facebook. 

photo courtesy of  corbisimages.com
The most I may have done would be to send them birthday wishes when Facebook reminds. But these set of people, not knowing me, not having a-one-on-one relationship with me, not bothering how I will perceive them not knowing them on a one-on-one basis, took a risk to ask, and indeed they received. My friends who knew me where preoccupied processing my post, my intentions, my thoughts, what some scholars call the paralysis of analysis, while ‘non-friends’ took a chance.


How many times do we let prospects pass us by because we have been taught that the world is full of no-good opportunists? I am by no means advocating that we throw caution to the wind and jump at every supposed opportunity or open door. No, absolutely not. Rather we must never allow familiarity, past experiences, past unexpected results, what some call failures, fear and skepticism rub us of the magnificent openings that life presents.


My social experiment with the free recharge cards has taught me to be bold and take a chance especially when I don’t have anything to loose. What is life teaching you, are you taking a chance? What chance would you take today?


I encourage you to keep a date with us at The Next Level with Chukwuemeka International Self-Discovery and Financial Empowerment Conference coming up on 18th and 19th November 2015 in Abuja. Come and learn the skills of knowing opportunities and taking calculated risks.

Whether you succeed or not, is really in your hands. Remember that when you set the sails, God sends the wind.

In your success journey, what insights have you acquired or tips you would like to share? I would like to hear from you. Your feedback is valued.

chukwuemeka okereafor
I am available to creatively:
-  anchor, facilitate or compere your corporate events
-  speak to and train your team
-  produce content and visibility for you or your organisation
- write your speeches, citations, press releases, advertorials and advert copies
-  provide mass media and public relations consultancy
- produce radio and TV jingles, documentaries and other media outputs
-  create community engagement media for your community outreach
- capture and document your meetings, sessions, workshops, public outings and other important events using photographic, audio and video equipment.


You can reach me directly on +234 (0)805 334 0599. You may also write to P O Box 11758, Garki, Abuja, Nigeria or email emeka_okereafor@yahoo.com. My twitter handle is @iamchukwuemeka, on Skype I am chukwuemeka.okereafor (all in small caps). Please like our Facebook page at The Next Level with Chukwuemeka

Thank you for allowing me into your world.



No comments:

Post a Comment